Florida man in coma after e-cigarette explodes

Florida man in coma after e-cigarette explodes 

Posted: 1:25 pm Wednesday, October 28th, 2015

By dcgreen

videostill

By Cox Media Group National Content Desk

MIAMI – A southwest Florida man is in a medically induced coma after his electronic cigarette reportedly exploded.

According to WINK, 21-year-old Evan Spahlinger of Collier County was smoking the e-cigarette Monday when it blew up, burning his face and neck.

Spahlinger was taken to a Naples hospital, then transported to Miami.

“They said he has internal and external burns and damage to his lungs from the explosion itself,” Ema Richardson, Spahlinger’s sister, told WINK. “And possibly the mouthpiece went, when the cigarette exploded, it went down his throat and exploded again.”

Officials said the cigarette’s lithium battery is probably to blame for the incident.

Read more here.